24.10.05

SOX


Because I'm living in Chicago and the White Sox are in the World Series, I'm supposed to be interested in sports.
I don't really follow baseball. If it's on and my dad is watching, I'll ask him who's winning and who's sucking. At least I understand the sport, sorta.
Technically, our household is a Cubs household, even though my father was raised by a South Side. Something about the Sox trading my grandpa's favorite player and never forgiving the team, so he switched and started cheering for the Cubs. You would just have to know my grandpa to understand the significance of this trade and his sour disposition on everything. And if you ever expressed interest in the Sox, he would rip into you and tell you that you're wrong and how awful that team was, and you're stupid for liking them. He wasn't a very nice man in the later years of his life.
Anyway...
The city is Sox crazy. Even though where I live is on the North side, people are going CRAZY! On Saturday night, I thought the entire city would explode with excitement because they won their first series game. Flags everywhere, cars honking, people shouting. Ridiculous.
But I don't care. Yeah, the Cubs are the golden team of Chicago, and there's no doubt that the Sox are the ugly South Side stepsister, but nonetheless, the Sox are still the home team. You have to be proud of them, and pray to God that they're smarter than the Cubs and not blow a three game lead.
Go SOX!

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 cents please!