4.10.05

Purple Line

The Purple Line in Chicago is a mysterious beast.
The line used to run through the loop clockwise, regularly. It was beautiful, especially when traveling to DePaul University because there was no circling.
Well this spring, CTA had to make some cuts because there wasn't enough money floating around, so the beloved Purple Line got cut except during rush hours.
It just so happened that yesterday I was downtown during that time and was lucky enough to catch the elusive Purple Line for a ride back home. Only problem was the train was packed! I've never seen the L that full before.
Not only did the sardine can thing freak me out, but earlier in the morning, a Brown Line (or maybe it was Red, I don't remember) jumped off the track. No one was injured, but morning rush hour was hell for many.
Anyway, because the train was so crowded, I stood right next to the doors. Unfortunately, however, there was nothing for me to hold on to. All I could do was push myself against the divider wall. But when the train takes a sharp turn, it don't do jack shit! Consequently, I smashed into a cute little Indian lady not once, but twice! And I mean smash as in smash. I knocked her back several feet, into the crowds of people.
I felt awful and apologized profusely. She said it was ok, but once the train thinned out, she moved away from me, to a safer side.
You can say whatever you like, but I still love the CTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 cents please!